[gdal-dev] NetCDF and EASE-2

Marsh, Chris chris.marsh at usask.ca
Mon Feb 3 11:37:33 PST 2020

Hi Even,
I see, Ok I think that all makes sense. Thanks very much!

Cheers
Chris

Chris Marsh, PhD
University of Saskatchewan
chrismarsh.ca<http://chrismarsh.ca/>

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 12:45 PM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com<mailto:even.rouault at spatialys.com>> wrote:
CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the University of Saskatchewan. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. If in doubt, please forward suspicious emails to phishing at usask.ca<mailto:phishing at usask.ca>

On lundi 3 février 2020 17:36:45 CET Marsh, Chris wrote:
> Yup, forgot to enable netcdf. Sorry about that.
>
> Otherwise your directions worked perfectly, thank you very much!
>
> In terms of understanding, exactly, these steps for the next time:
>
> 0) How would I have known the data were transposed lon, lat?

gdalinfo NETCDF:"SD_20160901.nc":snd_upd
reporting
Warning 1: No UNIDATA NC_GLOBAL:Conventions attribute
and
metadata with the lat and lon variables was a hint

"ncdump SD_20160901.nc" showing "float snd_upd(lon, lat)" confirmed it

> 0b) How would I have known the spacing of the lat variable was not constant?

Computing differences on consecutive lat values in the ncdump output. But
gdalinfo with "--debug on" also reports "Longitude is not equally spaced" (it
is confused here because of the lon/lat inversion, so this must be understood
as the latitude...)

> 1) What is the motivation to tiling the output?

So that transposition of the array works fast.

> 3) I don't understand this step.  Why is this referencing back  the nc
> file?

Because previous steps have lost the georeferencing

Even