[gdal-dev] Refreshing GDAL's logo

Marsh, Chris chris.marsh at usask.ca
Mon Feb 10 05:39:03 PST 2020

I personally like nirvn_v2

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 01:56 Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com<mailto:even.rouault at spatialys.com>> wrote:
CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the University of Saskatchewan. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. If in doubt, please forward suspicious emails to phishing at usask.ca<mailto:phishing at usask.ca>

Hi,

So looking at https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/2117, it seems we didn't
get more proposals than the ones from 2 weeks ago. There are 3 proposals in
the initial post of the ticket: nirvn_v1, nirvn_v2 and nirvn_v3
In https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/2117#issuecomment-570059241 , there's
also a variant of nirvn_v3 with the compas/satellite replacing the A.

Thoughts ? (PSC and community)

Even

> Hi,
>
> A number of people have expressed a wish to refresh GDAL's logo and have
> already submitted ideas in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/2117
>
> In order to make the topic advance in a positive way, I suggest the
> following guidelines for an informal contest starting now:
> - Propositions must be added to the above ticket until February 8 any time
> zone. In the spirit of "release early release often", it is suggested that
> people don't wait until the deadline so as to benefit from community
> feedback and potentially improve their proposals.
> - Each proposition must be clearly associated with a "${person_name}_$
> {unique_id}" identifier so we can unambiguously reference propositions.
> - A same person can issue any number of propositions.
> - Community members are invited to express their preferences in the ticket.
> - PSC will have final word on adopting a proposition or keeping the current
> logo if no clear concensus emerges. I hope other PSC members have better
> visual judgment than me to evaluate propositions ;-)
> - The selected proposition will have to be ultimately released as SVG
> readable by FOSS tools. With a color & back-white version
> - The selected proposition will have to be ultimately licensed under CC0 /
> Public domain for the sake of simplicity of use. For due credit, the author
> will be more than welcome to indicate its authorship, typically in rdf
> metadata, as was done for the PROJ logo (*)
> - Perhaps I've forgotten rules that will be added later. Hence the informal
> contest :-)
>
> Happy sketching,
>
> Even
>
> (*) https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OSGeo/PROJ/master/media/logo.svg
>
> PS: I would have appreciated if someone else from the community had taken
> the lead on writing this email, as suggested in the ticket. Don't be shy.

Chris Marsh, PhD
University of Saskatchewan
chrismarsh.ca<http://chrismarsh.ca/>