[gdal-dev] postgis raster driver

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Feb 14 12:57:05 PST 2020

Jachym,

> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/frmts_wtkraster.html ?

https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/postgisraster.html should better reflect the
current state.

> The GDAL PostGIS Raster driver does not support writing raster to the
> database yet.

This still holds true

> The write support to GDAL PostGIS Raster driver is under development

Not sure if it has really been in developmenet. Not to my knowledge at least.

> How much work is needed, to be able to use gdalwarp instead of raster2pgsql

It depends... PostGIS raster tables can be extremely deverse, from very
loosely/non-constrainted (arbitrary resolution of 'patches', no tiling, etc),
to super constrainted (tiling of tiles of same size and resolution). Updating
/ creating a new raster table with the later (strictly constrainted) could
perhaps be an effort of the order of one week for someone already familiar
with GDAL & this driver in particular. I don't think writing in loosely/non-
constrainted tables would be reasonably doable.

Even