[gdal-dev] How do I install GDAL on Windows 10?

Joris Van den Bossche jorisvandenbossche at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 05:32:28 PST 2020

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 06:59, /dev /local/ca <devlocalca at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to install and use GDAL on Windows 10.
>
> I don't know what 'conda' is, I don't care what it is, and I don't want to
> install it and screw up my machine.

I know you said to not care about what conda is, but if you want an easy
way to install GDAL (and fiona, rtree, geopandas, ...) on Windows, you
might want to care. conda is a cross-platform package manager for binary
packages (so pre-built, you don't need to build from source yourself), and
includes GDAL and the other mentioned packages. Miniconda provides a way to
minimally install the conda package manager (without the full blown
Anaconda distribution): https://docs.conda.io/en/latest/miniconda.html

In principle, wheels could also provide binary packages for python, but
unfortunately, the situation right now is that not all dependencies of
GeoPandas provide those for Windows (eg there are also no wheels for
rtree/libspatialindex). See
https://geopandas.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install.html#installing-with-pip