[gdal-dev] New Warnings from GTIFF output

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Jan 23 10:35:11 PST 2020

On jeudi 23 janvier 2020 13:26:01 CET Brian wrote:
> Currently using the master and received these warnings when running
> gdal_translate
>
> "Warning 1: TIFFReadDirectory:Invalid data type for tag TileByteCounts
> Warning 1: TIFFReadDirectory:Invalid data type for tag TileOffsets"
>
> The exact command was
> gdal_translate -stats raster_trans.tif raster_cog.tif -co TILED=YES -co
> BLOCKXSIZE=256 -co BLOCKYSIZE=256 -co NUM_THREADS=ALL_CPUS -co
> BIGTIFF=IF_SAFER -co COMPRESS=DEFLATE -co COPY_SRC_OVERVIEWS=YES --config
> GDAL_TIFF_OVR_BLOCKSIZE 256
>
> Is there anyway to suppress warnings and only return errors?

Not that I can think of, at least not without writing a custom error handler.

This warning is a consequence of

commit 5acc54b38bf9bcd45ae8c475f19eb4b8d44ce0bf
Author: Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
Date:   Sun Jan 12 14:54:40 2020 +0100

    Internal libtiff: _TIFFPartialReadStripArray: add support for non-
conformant SLONG8 data type (fixes #2165)

Such files are non conformant and could be rejected by other software (and for
GDAL versions >= 3.0 using internal libtiff or libtiff 4.1.0 and before that
fix, that file couldn't be read at all), so this warning is legit and should
be taken seriously.

> These warnings did not show up in 2.4.0 and 3.1.0 (is that equal to 3.0.1)?

3.1.0 is not yet released and is the master version, different of 3.0.1