[gdal-dev] Using ReadXMLToList with debian's package

Julien Osman julien.osman at csgroup.eu
Tue Jun 23 04:31:53 PDT 2020

Dear Even,

Thank you for your answer.

>  > I am using the "ReadXMLToList" method from the "GDALMDReaderBase"
> class[1].
>
> > In my development environment (with GDAL compiled by myself), it works
>
> > perfectly. But when want to compile my application on debian using the
>
> > package libgdal-dev[2], the linker can't find the symbols related to the
>
> > "GDALMDReaderBase" class. Do you know why "libgdal.so" from debian's
> package
>
> > doesn't contain all the symbols ?
>

> It uses the --with-hide-internal-symbols switch to avoid exporting
> non-public symbols, such as the ones of GDALMDReaderBase, which is an
> implementation detail of GDAL

This "implementation detail" could be used in other contexts. I
understand GDAL doesn't have for purpose to provide a XML parser. But
this function is used to convert a XML file to a StringList, which is a
GDAL object. I think it would make sens to make that function accessible.

> > Don't you think that "ReadXMLToList",
>
> > which is a static method,
>

> (it isn't actually a static method) As far as I can see, you can get
> the result of the parsing of those XML side-car files, mainly in the
> "IMD" metadata domain of the dataset

You are right, this is not a static method. However, it only depends on
the class method "AddXMLNameValueToList" which is defined by a single
line of code. So, this method could easily be made static.

Anyway, I leave this to your good judgement, and I will adapt according
to your decision.

Best regards. Julien :)