[gdal-dev] Infinite loop Netcdf/HDF5 -geoloc when warping (version 2.4.4)

Menno van Scheers - HUSS menno at huss.nl
Thu Mar 12 05:44:57 PDT 2020

Dear list,

While in the process of upgrading from 2.2.4 to 2.4.4 we encountered an issue with a specific NETCDF file which can no longer be warped.
Sample files can be found at : ftp://msgcpp-ogc-realtime.knmi.nl/

The file is a multiband dataset from which we want to extract the precip data, it contains 2 bands for georeferencing Lat/Lon.
So in 2.2.4 we used the -geoloc warp parameter to correctly warp it to a Webmercator or Mercator projection, this was done with the c-sharp swig bindings.

With 2.4.4 the program just halts and does not continue, the same can be reproduced with the commandline gdalwarp tool :
gdalwarp -geoloc -r cubic -t_srs "+proj=merc +a=6378137 +b=6378137 +lat_ts=0.0 +lon_0=0.0 +x_0=0.0 +y_0=0 +k=1.0 +units=m +nadgrids=@null +wktext  +no_defs" NETCDF:"samplefile ":precip "output.tiff"

When interrupting this process  HDF5 gives an error :

HDF5: infinite loop closing library
      D,T,FD,P,FD,P,FD,P,E,E,SL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL,FL

Unsure if this is the actual problem or a result of the interrupt.
Best Regards,

Menno Van Scheers