[gdal-dev] Building on windows

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sun Mar 15 08:53:49 PDT 2020

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 at 13:08, Darrel Maddy <darrel.maddy at newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:

> I have recently switched back to windows for a specific project that uses the gdal library.  I am getting the following error on compilation of the VS project
>
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.22.27905\bin\HostX86\x64\cl.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
>
> The cl.exe file is present in the directory (there are a number of similar messages that follow)  and I am unsure how to proceed. Any suggestions?

That is just a tiny bit of detailed error that does not tell much.
Possibly, your nmake.opt is configured to link some GDAL dependencies
which you are actually missing, then NMAKE will fail if cl/link fail.

Besides, you don't tell anything about
- what version of GDAL you build
- what commands you run to build
- you say you compile of the VS project, but what is "the" project, is
it one generated with generate_vcxproj.bat?