[gdal-dev] GDAL 3.1.0 RC2 available

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sun May 3 10:53:23 PDT 2020

On 5/3/20 7:47 PM, Even Rouault wrote:
> Looking at what is presumably the native side of ogrListLayers(),
> https://salsa.debian.org/r-pkg-team/r-cran-rgdal/-/blob/master/src/ogrsource.cpp#L1090
>
> I see it use thes GDAL C++ API. Given that the C++ ABI can change between GDAL feature
> releases (and it did change between 3.0 and 3.1 in the GDALDataset class used here), if rgdal
> isn't rebuilt against GDAL 3.1 headers, crashes are expected.

Why wasn't the SONAME bumped to reflect the ABI breakage?

We dropped the virtual dependency that required rebuilding for every
GDAL version change because you claimed that this wasn't required any more.

It seems we'll need to reintroduce this because the libgdal ABI is not
stable.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--