[gdal-dev] gdal-dev Digest, Vol 198, Issue 14

jratike80 jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Nov 12 01:16:56 PST 2020

Hi Ari,

I fear that user cannot control this with the switches. This is the reason
for the error:

```
WCS: Requesting
http://demo.geo-solutions.it/geoserver/wcs?SERVICE=WCS&REQUEST=GetCoverage&VERSION=2.0.1&COVERAGEID=nurc__mosaic&SUBSET=Long(6.3953399152693953,6.3953399152693953)&SUBSET=Lat(46.541601968340089,46.541601968340089)&Format=image/tiff

```

Thus GDAL creates subsets with lower limit = upper limit which makes the
bbox into a point. That it probably not intentional. I think it is done with
the code that begins from
https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/blob/master/gdal/frmts/wcs/wcsdataset.cpp#L562

If theory interests, there has been discussions within the OGC WCS group
about the validity of such request. It may be that the server should expand
the bbox and send tiff with one pixel as an output. If the subsets were
written for slicing
SUBSET=Long(6.3953399152693953)
&SUBSET=Lat(46.541601968340089)
then tiff as outputformat is not possible because image has always  two
dimensions but here 0 dimensionality (point) is requested. But this is a
sidepath because I believe that the WCS driver wants to read a small area
from WCS as a sample, not just one pixel.

-Jukka-

Ari Jolma-2 wrote