[gdal-dev] Oracle Spatial Driver: Is it possible to append features to a table?

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Nov 12 23:48:03 PST 2020

Hi,

It have not been using Oracle lately but yesterday I installed the free XE version with default values on Windows. Then I made the following simple test (I apologize all the DB admins I have been working with).

ogr2ogr OCI:system/password test.shp
ogr2ogr -update -append OCI:system/password test.shp -nln test

Ogr2ogr is adding new features into the table without errors. I also tried with "-nln test_test" and it worked as well.

If I run the command again without the -append option the error I get is
ERROR 1: Layer test already exists, and -append not specified. Consider using -append, or -overwrite.

Quite different message. Because you get an Oracle error ERROR 1: ORA-00955 I guess that it means that
1) GDAL does not know that the table already exists and
2) therefore it tries to create a new table.

It may be that your Oracle user does not have all required rights. Does ogrinfo list the table isophone_test? Did you read the few errors that you got when you fired the first ogr2ogr command (sometimes they are meaningful)? Does your user have rights to insert and update also the spatial metadata tables in Oracle? Run the -append command again by adding "--debug on" into the command and you will see what SQL statements GDAL creates. Here is what one of my tests produced. You can test the SQL commands with SQLPlus and it may tell you what rights are missing.

OCI: From 'Oracle Database 18c Express Edition Release 18.0.0.0.0 - Production' :
OCI: Version:18
OCI: Release:0
OCI: Prepare(ALTER SESSION SET NLS_DATE_FORMAT='YYYY/MM/DD'         NLS_TIME_FORMAT='HH24:MI:SS' NLS_TIME_TZ_FORMAT='HH24:MI:SS TZHTZM'         NLS_TIMESTAMP_FORMAT='YYYY/MM/DD HH24:MI:SS'         NLS_TIMESTAMP_TZ_FORMAT='YYYY/MM/DD HH24:MI:SS TZHTZM'         NLS_NUMERIC_CHARACTERS = '. ')
OCI: Prepare(SELECT TABLE_NAME, OWNER FROM ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA)
OCI: Prepare(SELECT COLUMN_NAME, DATA_DEFAULT
FROM user_tab_columns
WHERE DATA_DEFAULT IS NOT NULL AND TABLE_NAME = UPPER(:table_name))
OCI: Prepare(SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM USER_SDO_GEOM_METADATA u, TABLE(u.diminfo) t
WHERE u.table_name = :table_name
  AND u.column_name = :geometry_name)
OCI: Prepare(select m.SDO_LAYER_GTYPE from user_sdo_index_metadata m, user_sdo_index_info i where i.index_name = m.sdo_index_name and i.table_name = upper(:table_name))
OCI: Prepare(SELECT SRID FROM ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA WHERE TABLE_NAME = UPPER(:table_name) AND COLUMN_NAME = UPPER(:geometry_name))
[...]
GDAL: GDALOpen(OCI:system/ollikok90, this=000001618B8C0B20) succeeds as OCI.
OCI: Prepare(INSERT /*+ APPEND */ INTO "TIME_TEST"("OGR_FID","ORA_GEOMETRY","aika","attr","column") VALUES ( :fid , :geometry,  :field_0,  :field_1,  :field_2) )
OCI: Prepare(SELECT MAX("OGR_FID") FROM "TIME_TEST")
GDALVectorTranslate: 3 features written in layer 'TIME_TEST'
Shape: 3 features read on layer 'timetest'.
GDAL: GDALClose(timetest.shp, this=000001618B8A4540)
OCI: Flushing 3 features on layer TIME_TEST
OCI: Prepare(select min(case when r=1 then sdo_lb else null end) minx, min(case when r=2 then sdo_lb else null end) miny, min(case when r=1 then sdo_ub else null end) maxx, min(case when r=2 then sdo_ub else null end) maxy from (SELECT d.sdo_dimname, d.sdo_lb, sdo_ub, sdo_tolerance, rownum r FROM ALL_SDO_GEOM_METADATA m, table(m.diminfo) d where m.table_name = UPPER('TIME_TEST') and m.COLUMN_NAME = UPPER('ORA_GEOMETRY') ) )

-Jukka Rahkonen-