[gdal-dev] Geometry column name: Field 'OGR_GEOMETRY' not found in source layer

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at osgeopt.pt
Thu Nov 19 14:36:05 PST 2020

Hi Even,

Thanks for the feedback. The difference you mentioned is well understood
with the example:

-sql 'select OGR_GEOMETRY, "_OGR_GEOMETRY_" from layer'

I get exactly what is expected from both fields:

POLYGON | POLYGON(...)
POLYGON | POLYGON(...)

It would be nice to allow "_OGR_GEOMETRY_" in ogr2ogr -select, but the
usage of -sql works.

To make the usage of this "_OGR_GEOMETRY_" more clear, may I add an
example to https://gdal.org/programs/ogrinfo.html?

I think this is not well documented. The only reference I used [1] is
not accurate anymore. It says:

"the special field names “OGR_GEOMETRY” and “OGR_STYLE” will be
interpreted to refer to the geometry and style values of a feature".

Regards,

Jorge

[1]
https://gdal.org/development/rfc/rfc29_desired_fields.html?highlight=ogr_geometry

--
OSGeo Portugal
NIF: 509588190
email: geral at osgeopt.pt
https://www.osgeopt.pt/

Próximo evento: SASIG 2017, 20 a 22 de novembro, Porto