[gdal-dev] Adopting Contributor Covenant v2.0 as code of conduct

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Nov 25 05:53:03 PST 2020

> As required by OSGeo for its projects [1] and some institutions that want to
> interact with us, I've prepared in https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3219 a
> pull request adding the Contributor Covenant v2.0 [2] as the code of conduct
> for the project.

I am not following the logic here.  OSGeo has a code of conduct, and
requires that all projects use it.  It therefore seems contrary to OSGeo
policy to use a different COC.  So it would seem that it is only
necessary to note that gdal follows the OSGeo code of conduct and have a
link someplace.

I much prefer the OSGeo COC to the one you have proposed instead.  In
particular ("Diversity Statement") talks about being welcoming to all
rather than having a large but finite list of non-discrimination reasons
which notably leaves out political views and being a veteran.  While I
strongly support being courteous to everyone, these codes can veer into
a political statement particularly when they include and exclude
particular groups by having a list.  I feel that OSGeo's avoids that,
and the Contributor Covenant not as well.

So I don't understand why you are proposing this, and what problem it is
solving, vs the current situation of the OSGeo COC being in effect.
But as usual I could well be missing something.

For now, I'm opposed, and prefer to just add a line in README.md

See [the standard OSGeo Code of Conduct](https://www.osgeo.org/resources/osgeo-code-of-conduct/).