[gdal-dev] XMP in COG

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Oct 2 03:58:07 PDT 2020

On jeudi 1 octobre 2020 23:19:22 CEST Javier Jimenez Shaw wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have seen that XMP is not copied into a COG file when CreateCopy is
> called. Actually it is also not done in CreateCopy of GTiff.
> Does it make sense to include the copy of this metadata automatically? And
> what about other metadata?

If you want to contribute that, could make sense.
I'd want that gdal_translate to have a new -noxmp flag though. That would cause to go in the
intermediate VRT code path where XMP isn't currently copied currently: this VRT dataset
should copy the source XMP, unless -noxmp is specified.

Expected behaviour:
gdal_translate source_with_xmp.tif out.tif  --> XMP copied
gdal_translate source_with_xmp.tif out.tif -srcwin 0 0 1 1  --> XMP copied (I don't think XMP
captures georeferencing so subsetting shouldn't affect its content, hopefully)
gdal_translate source_with_xmp.tif out.tif -noxmp -->  XMP not copied

Even