[gdal-dev] Handling non-standard character encoding

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Mon Oct 5 20:36:44 PDT 2020

While looking at some NITF test data, I’ve found a problem in how we handle ECS-A (and ECS) characters. BCS-A (essentially ASCII) is
fine. However MIL-STD-2500C CN2 allows some header fields to be ECS-A, and the test data does this.

I’ve also hit TREs with µm, where the µ character is encoded as 0xB5 in ECS-A (UTF-8 would be 0xCE 0xBC)

I’d appreciate some guidance on how to best address this. I can see two options – handle it internal to the NITF driver, or
(somehow) modify CPLRecode or iconv to handle this special case. I’m currently planning the former.

If something else would be more appropriate, please let me know.

Brad