[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr: debugging slow performance when converting .e00 to other formats

Jed O. Kaplan jed.kaplan at arve-research.com
Mon Oct 12 03:17:19 PDT 2020

Hello all,

I am new to this list, apologies if this type of question has already been asked. I’m using GDAL/OGR version 3.0.4 on a brand new server with 256GB ram.

I have a moderately sized (~110MB) .e00 file I would like to convert to another format. The original file appears to be clean; ogrinfo gives no problems opening the file.

I’ve tried converting this .e00 to shapefile, sqlite, and gpkg and in all cases it appears to create a file (or files depending on the output format) at the beginning but then little appears to happen after that. After several hours the conversion operation is still running, but the files only grow very, very slowly.

Is there any way to monitor the progress of the ogr2ogr operation or debug what is happening? I feel like there is not a lot more I can do except wait, but the time ogr2ogr is taking seems excessive given the input file size and the slow growth of the output file.

Thanks for your help,

Jed