[gdal-dev] GDAL 3.1.4 RC1 available

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Oct 20 09:12:14 PDT 2020

On mardi 20 octobre 2020 09:43:19 CEST Sean Gillies wrote:
> Hi Even,
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 3:01 AM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Joaquim,
> >
> > Yes GDAL 3.1.4 makes use of the new function proj_crs_get_datum_ensemble()
> > of
> > PROJ master (tested by checking PROJ version number to be >= 7.2 since
> > this is
> > queued for the PROJ 7.2 release in a few days). So I suspect you might
> > build
> > GDAL against the header of a recent PROJ master, but at runtime use an
> > older
> > version of the .dll that has not the symbol
> >
> > Even
>
> Are you saying that GDAL 3.1.4 requires PROJ 7.2 or only that it uses the
> PROJ 7.2 API when available?

The later. GDAL 3.1.4 can be built with any PROJ >= 6

GDAL 3.1.4 should work fine with most WKT CRS, but will have issues in some
functions of OGRSpatialReference when dealing with CRS built from new
WKT2:2019 CRS that use the ENSEMBLE[] structure (such as now generated by
epsg.org WKT output, or future PROJ 8). See
https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ/pull/2371

To address that, a new function was added in PROJ 7.2. So GDAL 3.1.4 will work
best with PROJ 7.2. And with PROJ < 7.2, it will error out (GDAL < 3.1.4 would
crash) when using CopyGeogCSFrom(), SetGeocCS(), StripTOWGS84IfKnownDatum()
and CloneGeogCS() (and their callers...) on a CRS with a ENSEMBLE[]

So my advice will be for people updating to latest GDAL and PROJ, to make sure
to rebuild GDAL against PROJ 7.2 when it will be released.

Even