[gdal-dev] NITF DES Data

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Oct 26 08:51:27 PDT 2020

Matt,

> I would like to extract NITF data extension segment (DES) data using GDAL's
> pre-built python packaging.  I'm aware of nitfdump, but that requires my
> downstream users to build from source, so I'm looking for something more
> integrated.  I see there is a "DES" metadata domain in the NITF driver, but
> it's behind the ESRI_BUILD flag, so not part of the packaged release.  Is
> DES data excluded on purpose, or is there a contribution I could make to
> flesh out DES access in the NITF driver?

I guess this should be mostly a matter of moving the DES metadata reporting
part away from their #ifdef ESRI_BUILD , testing that this works, adding test
and adding documentation. I got confirmation that this is no longer used by
Esri, so we could potentially change naming / behaviour if needed.

Even