[gdal-dev] Serving COGs from GCP bucket to Openlayers

Momtchil Momtchev momtchil at momtchev.com
Wed Sep 16 13:33:23 PDT 2020

     Hello,

I think this question belongs to the Openlayers list, but what I do is
use the VRT driver with a generated VRT file that consists of multiple
PNG tiles. This has the benefit of allowing you to both use Openlayers
directly with a {z}/{x}/{y} url and to be able to read and write it with
GDAL all while retaining the geo-referencing data. It is a very good
solution when the information changes very often, but its extent /
projection / resolution stays the same (I serve weather data). The
downside is that managing different zoom levels won't be automatic, you
will have to implement it yourself.

If you don't need to access the same data both with Openlayers and GDAL,
or if you need zoom levels, maybe you should take a look at the MBTiles
driver and gdal2tiles. Or mapproxy which can manage the zoom levels for
you. I have never used them so I don't have any advice.

Generally, if you only need to serve static raster data, you don't need
any fancy servers, plain HTTP with Openlayers XYZ and a static directory
structure will do.

Also, the 32 bit data will need to get converted to integers at some
point. Offline with GDAL if you can afford the storage, online with
mapproxy if you can afford the CPU, client-side with lots of custom
Openlayers code if you can afford to lose some browser performance and
none of the files is too big.

I think this should be your first decision - who will do the heavy
lifting - the server or the client, and will it be once per data set, or
at every request. Do you need dynamic meta data (extent, resolution,
projection) which requires some protocol like WMTS, or is it mostly
static, which is best served with simple HTTP.

Momtchil Momtchev<momtchil at momtchev.com>