[gdal-dev] PROJ context and threads

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 18:30:00 PDT 2021

Hi,

I have a process with a large thread pool. The threads occasionally make a
GDAL call that in turn calls a PROJ function. From what I can tell, this
causes the opening of a PROJ context that holds a handle/descriptor to the
PROJ database. I believe that this file descriptor is held open in TLS
until the thread is destroyed. This ends up keeping enough files open for
my application that I run out of file descriptors.

Am I properly understanding the PROJ context behavior? Is there any way to
force the deallocation of the PROJ context so that the file descriptor for
the database can be closed?

Thanks,

--
Andrew Bell