[gdal-dev] very slow sql ogr2ogr conversion

Hector muro muro.hector at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 00:17:34 PDT 2021

Hi Neil,

I found a similar situation once. Are you using Linux? If so, I think the
ogr2ogr MSSQLSpatial driver for Linux does not use BCP (for multiple
inserts, which is why the CSV goes so fast).

If not, have you tried using the MSSQLSpatial Configuration Options for the
command? I don't remember exactly what they are but it's well documented.
It was something on the lines of "MSSQLSPATIAL_USE_BCP" and
"MSSQLSPATIAL_BCP_SIZE"

Another thing I found useful was to check the SSMS Profiler to see what's
going on as you run.

Finally, I was forced by circumstances to use SQL Server, but if that's not
your case, I strongly recommend you to get away from it :)

Hope this helps,

Hector