[gdal-dev] Test Failures

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Apr 28 06:15:51 PDT 2021

> Do you have any idea why the differences exist? Is it worth investigating?

Quite likely subtle differences in behavior of the JPEG compression
library. Mine on ubuntu 20.04 is libjpeg-turbo 2.0.3 with IJG libjpeg 8
ABI. I presume if you built if from source and linked it against GDAL,
you'd get the same checksums.

We should try to minimize tests using JPEG for that reason, but in that
instance, this test is really meant to check JPEG specific code paths in
the COG driver. Or use some kind of perceptualdiff test for such test,
but the "perceptualdiff" utility does consider "your" and "mine" image
to be different, so that wouldn't help. We'd probably need something
clever that tolerates pixel values differences that can be quite
important (the max here is a difference of 19 units) but detects there's
no spatial shift.