[gdal-dev] ODBC and configure

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Thu Apr 29 05:53:20 PDT 2021

I have a report from a pkgsrc user of the ODBC library being missing
from gdal.so.   pkgsrc doesn't declare a dependency so this is intended
to be hidden from the build evironment.

I went looking for docs and found:

  https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/odbc.html

which says

  ODBC support is potentially available on Unix and Windows platforms,
  but is only included in unix builds by special configuration options.

however when I build gdal I see in the output:

  check for unixODBC
  checking for SQLConnect in -lodbc... no

which makes it look like the build is looking for ODBC in the build
environment even though it was not explicitly requested.  Reading
configure.ac, it's clear that absent --without-odbc, ODBC libs are
looked for and used if found.

So I'm not sure if this is a build bug or a doc bug.
Either way, I'll just add --without-odbc.