[gdal-dev] unicode support in GDAL

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Aug 12 09:23:48 PDT 2021

**
Claudiu,

OGR supports unicode strings, and expect/outputs in UTF-8 as the pivot
encoding. See https://gdal.org/development/rfc/rfc23_ogr_unicode.html
for details
For shapefiles on writing, you'll need to pass the ENCODING=UTF-8 layer
creation option (see
https://gdal.org/drivers/vector/shapefile.html#layer-creation-options),
or at another value that is compatible of cyrillic characters (CP1251 e.g.)

Demo (in UTF-8 console)

$ cat cyrillic.csv
id,txt
1,"Привет"

$ ogr2ogr cyrillic.shp cyrillic.csv -lco ENCODING=CP1251

$ ogrinfo cyrillic.dbf -al -q

Layer name: cyrillic
Metadata:
   DBF_DATE_LAST_UPDATE=2021-08-12