[gdal-dev] unicode support in GDAL

Jan Heckman jan.heckman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 09:10:28 PDT 2021

Does the shapefile have a .cpg with UTF8 as spec?
Did you open the shape (or, in fact, the .dbf) in e.g.  Qgis?
You might try open it (the .dbf) in Libre office calc and specify the
encoding as UTF8.
If there's still ? or non-Russian where it should be, you are sure that the
shapefile (dbf) is not correct.
It may be quite ok and all you need is to supply the .cpg file.