[gdal-dev] GDAL 3.3.2 RC2 is available [was Re: GDAL 3.3.2 RC1 available]

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Aug 31 09:55:14 PDT 2021

Hi Sean,

> Would it be difficult to change the RC URLs and release directory to
> include the "rc*" string? If the download was at
> https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/3.3.2rc2/gdal-3.3.2rc2.tar.gz
> <https://download.osgeo.org/gdal/3.3.2rc2/gdal-3.3.2rc2.tar.gz> and
> extracted to gdal-3.3.2rc2 I would only need to make a one line change
> to my build system to test it.
ok will try to remember that for next time

> I did find some failures in the tests we run when building and testing
> rasterio's binary distributions (the wheels on PyPI). GDAL 3.3.2rc2
> and PROJ 7.2.1. The errors seem to come from a failure to auto
> identify the EPSG codes in spatial reference systems created from, for
> example, '+init=epsg:4326' or '+proj=longlat +datum=WGS84 +no_defs'.
>
> https://github.com/mapbox/rasterio/blob/master/rasterio/_crs.pyx#L241-L243
> <https://github.com/mapbox/rasterio/blob/master/rasterio/_crs.pyx#L241-L243>
>
> These failures did not occur with 3.3.0. I'm retroactively checking
> 3.3.1 now.

This is a 3.3.2 change : https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/4047 . And
this is intended. The issue with the PROJ strings you mention is that
they are legacy syntax that results in a CRS that is instantiated with
longitude, latitude order, whereas official EPSG:4326 is latitude,
longitude order. The previous tolerance on the axis order in
AutoIdentifyEPSG() was actually causing issues in some contexts
(coordinate transformations)

I'd suggest you use OSRFindMatches() (much more capable) instead of
AutoIdentifyEPSG(). You can walk through the suggested matches and
compare them with the original CRS for example with OSRIsSame(). By
default OSRIsSame() is tolerant on the axis order for geographic CRS
(using OSRIsSameEx() with CRITERION=EQUIVALENT you'll get enforcement of
same axis order).

Even