[gdal-dev] zarr driver PR

Sean Gillies sean.gillies at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 07:45:39 PST 2021

Hi all,

Also deep in our recent long thread about removing drivers from GDAL is
mention of a new PR for a "zarr" driver.

https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3411

I'd like to see more discussion of the scope of this work and plans for
future development and support before a zarr driver is added to GDAL.

Is the zarr driver not going to support version 2 of the zarr spec? I that
v2 would be difficult to implement as a GDAL driver as it is extremely
flexible and extensible. For example, I've written custom compressor and
storage for use in a project at work and can't imagine how a driver written
in C++ would understand it.

Is the zarr driver based on
https://zarr-specs.readthedocs.io/en/core-protocol-v3.0-dev/protocol/core/v3.0.html?
That work seems not yet finished. Is it premature to add a driver to GDAL
for a format that isn't yet specified and may yet be changed? Or should we
expect only minor changes at this point?

--
Sean Gillies