[gdal-dev] Driver maintenance - long-term solution ?

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Wed Jan 13 07:51:11 PST 2021

Hi,

The thread "Considering drivers removal ?" made me think about what is the real issue. Is there something fundamentally wrong with the current GDAL? If having >100 and >100 drivers prevent developers from doing modernization in GDAL internals I do not believe that having 90 and 90 really makes much difference. Not even what Even suggested "We should probably trim down the list to 20 raster and vector drivers to have a real effect regarding that."

What if we imagine that we have managed to drop all the drivers and we have free hands to modernize the GDAL internals and everything. What would we do differently? Would there be less built-in drivers and more plugins or what?
And when it comes the time to do the next modernization campaign, would it be any easier? How about the threshold to become a maintainer? I am not a developer myself but somehow I feel that currently it is not so easy to jump in and start maintaining even just one specific driver.

-Jukka Rahkonen-