[gdal-dev] Driver maintenance - long-term solution ?

Paul Harwood runette at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 15:47:14 PST 2021

+1 and more to Carl and Howard

That said, having been inside a FAANG I can understand that the contortions
that you have to go through just to get a "charity" payment approved in
terms of proving probity especially post SOX are enormous. I tried to get a
G-normous company to provide network support after the earthquake in Nepal.
It took a 5 minute call to VP to get a 6-figure budget and 6 months to find
a route to get the money or goods delivered! I was told at the time that
the lead time for getting a new not-for-profit organisation approved was 2
- 5 years! And don't even think of trying to get a payment for services
without a service description, PO and invoice from an approved supplier. It
is just physically impossible. They have huge resources in developer time
that they throw around at a moment's notices but exporting cash is
impossible.

I don't know the solution. The usual solution is an existing large,
US-based foundation that has existing dealings with the FAANGS that could
act as a conduit (perfectly legally).