[gdal-dev] Driver maintenance - long-term solution ?

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Jan 13 16:09:05 PST 2021

Paul Harwood <runette at gmail.com> writes:

> I don't know the solution. The usual solution is an existing large,
> US-based foundation that has existing dealings with the FAANGS that could
> act as a conduit (perfectly legally).

I'd like to thank Howard for speaking so clearly.

One of the really broken things is that big companies seem to have a
hard time making a donation to an open source project.  Yet they can pay
for proprietary software licenses with no effort.  So I wonder if
selling some kind of "gold support contract", would be viable, where all
that they get is to put the gold label on issues on the tracker, but
then it's a "support contract" and thus easy like a license, vs a
"donation".

I don't buy the notion that Sarbanes-Oxley makes this hard.  I think
that's just an excuse, based on my experience.