[gdal-dev] JPEG/PNG 12 bits GDAL python

jratike80 jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Fri Jan 22 03:14:40 PST 2021

Hi,

With my GDAL 3.1.4 from OSGeo4W converting a single band Float32 DEM file
into JPEG compressed TIFF and into plain JPEG succeeded with these commands:

gdal_translate L2431.tif -co COMPRESS=JPEG -ot uint16 -co NBITS=12 out.tif
gdal_translate L2431.tif -of JPEG -ot uint16 -co NBITS=12 out.jpg

I have never played with 12 bit JPEGs before. The documentation was not very
clear to me and I am not sure if it is essential to first define the data
type into uint16 and then limit the number of NBITS into 12.
But without using -ot uint16 I got messages like

Warning 6: Only NBITS=16 is supported for data type Float32
Warning 1: NBITS=32 is invalid for data type UInt16. Using NBITS=16
ERROR 1: JPEGSetupEncode:BitsPerSample 16 not allowed for JPEG

Warning 6: driver JPEG does not support creation option NBITS
0Warning 6: JPEG driver doesn't support data type Float32. Only eight and
twelve bit bands supported (Mk1 libjpeg).

I wonder if there is any way for the user to find out if their GDAL is
compiled with 12 bit JPEG support.

-Jukka Rahkonen-

GDAL - Dev mailing list wrote