[gdal-dev] Metadata exceeding 32000 bytes cannot be written into GeoTIFF....

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jul 14 13:24:05 PDT 2021

Yes, there's this limitation to 32kb for the metadata stored in the
GDAL_METADATA TIFF tag. I'm not sure where this comes from. I think this
could probably be raised. Could you open a ticket about that ?

In the meantime, you could do

gdal_translate -a_srs EPSG:4326 -strict
NETCDF:MITO_20210713_20210713T00.nc:V temp.vrt

then with a text editor edit temp.vrt to remove metadata items you don't
need

and then

gdal_translate temp.vrt /Users/lollo/Desktop/TESTMITO/V.tiff