[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 83: guidelines for the use of GDAL project sponsorship

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jun 2 12:52:01 PDT 2021

Hi Sean,
> I've got two questions. I don't think they need answers before we
> vote, but I'm curious if asking them leads to any useful discussion.
>
> Will we strictly require project proposals to be submitted and
> approved before work starts? Will we allow works in progress to apply
> for funding?
I don't see why we would refuse an in-progress work to be funded, and I
don't think the text of the RFC exclude this situation. The risk is not
for the project, but for applicants who could see their work not
selected for funding despite their expectation.

> Should we address, in the text of the RFC, the possibility of
> conflicting proposals? Should we limit the number of proposals per
> person/organization to minimize conflicts?

If we find conflicting proposals, I guess we'll ask to applicants if
they want to collaborate together, if that makes sense. And if they
don't/can't, we'll select the one we will find the best according to our
criteria. As far as limiting the number of proposals, I don't see any
need for now. Thinking to how QGIS grant proposals work, they are no
such rules regarding that, and things seem to work well. The main
limitation comes from the budget. If someone submit proposals that would
 > total amount of the grant program, they know some will not be
selected . At this stage, I don't think we don't have enough experience
of how that work for GDAL to set extra rules.

Even