[gdal-dev] cogger output has no overviews?

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 12:05:04 PDT 2021

Matt,
In the general case, cogger supports a tiff with internal overviews, i.e.
without a .tif.ovr sidecar file. The advanced usecase which takes multiple
files is a remnant of the time when gdaladdo was much slower than
successive runs of "gdal_translate -outsize 50% 50%", or for when you need
specific compression/tiling options for the overviews that gdaladdo does
not support.
In your scenario, you should delete your .tif.ovr file, run "gdaladdo -r
average myfile.tif 2 4 8 16 ..." and then "cogger myfile.tif"
Direct support for .tif.ovr files could be something we can support if
proposed as a pull request, but is not on our roadmap.
Regards,
Thomas