[gdal-dev] gdaladdo bigtiff err but --config BIGTIFF was used

Andrew C Aitchison andrew at aitchison.me.uk
Mon Jun 28 01:33:00 PDT 2021

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021, Matt.Wilkie at yukon.ca wrote:

>> Your initial test.tif file needs to be a bigtiff, i.e. have been
>> created with -co "BIGTIFF=YES". you can then drop the bigtiff
>> config arguments of your gdaladdo call.
>
> Ahh, thanks Thomas, that indeed is the problem.
>
> Unfortunately for me it means in this case I'm stuck,
> as the original is jpeg-tiff and I don't want to pay the penalty
> of another decompress-recompress cycle to change to big tiff.
> However at least I know what's going on now.

The description at http://bigtiff.org strongly suggests that
you can convert a tiff to a bigtiff without decompressing.
I do not have a pointer to code or an application (beyond
the BigTIFF version of libtiff) but some of the people named
as involved with the design are on this list.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison					Kendal, UK
 			andrew at aitchison.me.uk