[gdal-dev] Motion: RFC 78: gdal-utils package

Idan Miara idan at miara.com
Tue Mar 16 00:00:15 PDT 2021

Hi all,

Having heard no further comments regarding RFC78
<https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pull/3260>.

Motion:

Adopt RFC 78: gdal-utils package
<https://github.com/talos-gis/gdal/blob/Branch_rfc78_py_modules/gdal/doc/source/development/rfc/rfc78_gdal_utils_package.rst>
(formatted
version).

*A personal note*
The points I've mentioned in the motivation section have affected me
personally - Enough to spend a considerable time to write and
implement this RFC.
Other developers and users might be encountering the same issues and thus
would benefit from this RFC.

I have contributed a fair amount of Python code to gdal in the past year.
If you find my contributions to gdal
<https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/pulls?q=is%3Apr+author%3Aidanmiara+>
valuable and want me to have more time to further contribute to gdal then
please accept this RFC even if you don't personally appreciate the
motinations I've mentioned.
Otherwise I would need to continue maintaining this branch to workaround
the issues I've mentioned (which is time consuming by itself because I need
to keep rebasing it and resolve conflicts), thus having less time to
actually contribute to gdal and improve the gdal-utils modules.

`gdal-utils` wheels that were built and uploaded by myself to address these
issues are already available in pypi <https://pypi.org/project/gdal-utils/>.
If this PR is accepted, I will give complete control over this pypi package
to the gdal project owners. Yanking "unofficial" gdal-utils packages is
accepted if necessary once this motion is passed and the first official
gdal-utils wheel is released on pypi.

Idan