[gdal-dev] Motion: RFC 78: gdal-utils package

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Mar 24 12:02:57 PDT 2021

Hi Idan,

> Motion:
>
> Adopt RFC 78: gdal-utils package
> <https://github.com/talos-gis/gdal/blob/Branch_rfc78_py_modules/gdal/doc/source/development/rfc/rfc78_gdal_utils_package.rst> (formatted
> version).

+1.

Sorry for the late reply.

I'd like some efforts on the documentation front regarding this new
addition. The new doc page hhttps://gdal.org/api/python.html (initiated
from the swig/python/README.rst. not sure how we could avoid duplication
of content in the tree. perhaps some inclusion of README.rst from the
docs) would need to be enriched with details from the RFC, to explain
how the 2 pypi packages relate, and the potential issues in the
workflows you indicate.

The HOWTO-RELEASE procedure will likely need to be adjusted.

I'll appreciate too that you actively support users in github issues /
email traffic on this topic once this is deployed in a release.

Best regards,

Even