[gdal-dev] Motion: RFC 78: gdal-utils package

Sean Gillies sean at mapbox.com
Wed Mar 24 17:30:44 PDT 2021

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 2:51 PM Alan Snow <alansnow21 at gmail.com> wrote:

> One recommendation I have for this RFC would be to remove gdal_utils
> entirely from the main GDAL repository and into its own repository.
> The main reason would be to test against multiple versions of GDAL to
> ensure compatibility. Compatibility across versions is a main goal of this
> RFC if I understand correctly, so that is why I bring it up.
>
> Hope that is helpful,
> Alan

Thank you for bringing this up and joining the discussion, Alan!. I agree
that gdal_utils is a lot like projects we work on together in this respect.

I scanned the RFC and am confused about what I read in
https://github.com/talos-gis/gdal/blob/Branch_rfc78_py_modules/gdal/doc/source/development/rfc/rfc78_gdal_utils_package.rst#how-to-upgrade-the-utils-without-upgrading-the-bindings
.

> pip install a wheel overwrites whichever files already exist (even if
installed by a different package) If you pip install gdal then pip install
gdal-utils you'd get the utils from gdal-utils. If later you do again pip
install gdal with a different version then you'd get the utils from gdal
again, and so on. (it doesn't seem that it matters which version is a
bigger number, just which one you installed later)

How certain are we of this? I am not 100% certain that this is true or that
the behavior of pip here is totally specified. Even if it is true, it seems
like there is a lot of potential for confusion. I think it would be much
better for users if we didn't have 2 distributions contending for the same
namespace.

--
Sean Gillies