[gdal-dev] Motion: RFC 78: gdal-utils package

Idan Miara idan at miara.com
Wed Mar 24 22:33:24 PDT 2021

Hi Sean,

Removing the utils from the gdal sdist/wheel means that people who install
gdal won't have the utils unless they installed the utils wheel.

My understanding from the earlier discussion was that it is too disruptive
and confusing for the average user, thus I ended up with this mix
compromise.

Regarding the pip behaviour, that was my conclusion upon testing it. You
may verify it easily :)

I think that is a good compromise for now and we might want to add a
warning somehow in gdal 3.3 if we want to do a proper split in some major
version later, say in gdal 3.5, along with the other cleanups that are
planned for 3.5.

Idan