[gdal-dev] Adding gcps to a raster using gdal_translate can result in data loss.

Hays Barrett hbarrett at edac.unm.edu
Tue Mar 30 10:45:08 PDT 2021

Will do.
Thanks!

From: "Even Rouault" <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
To: "Rahkonen Jukka (MML)" <jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi>, "hays" <Hays.Barrett at gmail.com>
Cc: gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2021 11:12:38 AM
Subject: Re: [gdal-dev] Adding gcps to a raster using gdal_translate can result in data loss.

Jukka' suggestion is a good one. Using -tps solver or affine approximation -order 1 fixes the issue. The default behaviour with GCPs when there are 6 or more of them is to use the second order polynomial adjustment. The issue here is when computing output bounds. We actually compute two 2nd order polynomial adjustments: one from source image coordinates to georeferenced ones, and one from georeferenced ones to source image. The former one is used to compute the output bounds, but the second one is used to do warping. The issue with 2nd order polynomial is that those two transformers are generally not the inverse of each other... We should likely compute the source image coordinates -> georeferenced coordinates as an iterative inversion of the other one, so they are invertible. The first order polynomial / affine transformation hasn't that issue due to how affine transformation works. The TPS one isn't likely perfectly invertible but TPS transformation is guaranteed to be exact at GCPs, so that diminishes the effect. But 2nd order polynomial has overshoots particularities that can cause the issue observed.

Another workaround is to specify the desired output bounds with -te

Anyway, Hays, could you file an issue about that in [ https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues | https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues ] , ideally copying over your web page (or pointing to it if it can remain stable), and pasting my above comment.

Even