[gdal-dev] More info on gdalwarp resampling methods?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Mar 31 10:27:24 PDT 2021

Matt,

I see that in the -multi mode, the I/O threads waits for a maximum of 10
minutes for the computation thread to have finished. And you likely hit
that limit because of the large value of -wm you set. There's no reason
we max at 10 minutes however. Please find a but about that, including my
analysis.

For better speed, I'd suggest you add --config GDAL_NUM_THREADS ALL_CPUS
(or a given number of threads). The -multi switch only does one thread
for I/O and one thread for computation. By adding --config
GDAL_NUM_THREADS xxx you'll also multi-thread the computation part. The
gain of -multi alone is generally neglectable. We should probably make
-multi turn on --config GDAL_NUM_THREADS ALL_CPUS as well.

I also see that the mode resampling spend an awful lot of time on line
"memset(panVals, 0, nBins*sizeof(int));" where nBins=65536 on Int16
data, and that for each output pixel. We could probably do something
much less expensive for most cases. Please file a separate enhancement
ticket about that particular case.

Even