[gdal-dev] Motion: adopt RFC 81: support for coordinate epochs in geospatial formats

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Thu May 13 12:27:15 PDT 2021

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 3:21 PM Javier Jimenez Shaw <j1 at jimenezshaw.com>
wrote:

> My two cents:
>
> About NGS / NOAA, I know that the new CRS they are preparing for 2022 it
> clearly time dependent. I attended an online conference (oriented to
> surveyors) last year about it, and they insisted a lot on the time variable
> and plates drift.
> There are some of them in the PROJ mailing list (maybe here as well)
> -there was a discussion about including some grid files in PROJ-data-.
> Maybe involving them in this topic may produce more traction.

I'm not sure the issue is whether people expect to use time-marked CRS.
It's more whether GDAL should attempt to add their support into formats not
built for it.

I also wonder if people who create time-marked files from GDAL will be
confused/mislead when those files aren't properly read by other software.

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com