[gdal-dev] A Swift wrapper for GDAL

Gaige B. Paulsen osgeo at gbp.gaige.net
Wed May 19 09:38:09 PDT 2021

I’ve been using GDAL on macOS for years (and iOS as well, both mostly
with Objective-C) using C bindings and some Objective-C helpers that
I’ve put together over time. The C bindings are suitable for use with
Objective-C and shouldn’t be difficult to use as a bridge to Swift.

Also, if necessary, wrapping a C++ library in Objective-C(++) is
relatively simple and I’ve found that effective where I needed to use
the more advanced features (as Even points out, this has been very
infrequent).

I’m not sure how much time I have to commit to assisting with the swift
wrapper, but I’m happy to act as a sounding board and help where I have
time.

-Gaige