[gdal-dev] Freenode IRC taken over(was Fwd: [SAC] [Hosting] OSUOSL IRC channels moving to irc.libera.chat)

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed May 19 12:11:11 PDT 2021

On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 21:01, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> See below about Freenode IRC having been taken over (or considered as such
> by most Freenode admins), which affects our existing #gdal channel.
>
> What should we do:
>
> - give up with IRC at all, and just use the Slack channel ? Would make
> things more simple
>
> - migrate to Libera Chat ?
>
> - something else ?

BTW, since there are some uses of the Matrix at OSGeo,
this may be of interest
https://matrix.org/blog/2020/12/07/gitter-now-speaks-matrix

FYI, after a few bumps
(I was getting "Sending email failed, sorry! Registration aborted.")
the nick registration now works at libera.chat
So, just in case, for smoother operations,
you may want to register your Freenode's nick
https://libera.chat/guides/registration