[gdal-dev] Freenode IRC taken over(was Fwd: [SAC] [Hosting] OSUOSL IRC channels moving to irc.libera.chat)

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed May 19 16:20:45 PDT 2021

Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> writes:

> See below about Freenode IRC having been taken over (or considered as
> such by most Freenode admins), which affects our existing #gdal
> channel.

gdal and everybody else :-(

> What should we do:
>
> - give up with IRC at all, and just use the Slack channel ? Would make
> things more simple

Definitely not slack.  That is not run by a free software nonprofit and
is not free software.  Perhaps more concerningly, it is centralized --
gdal/osgeo can't host their own slack server.  And using things like
slack asks users to enter into a contract with a company that isn't a
501(c)3 (US term) or equivalent.

> - migrate to Libera Chat ?

In the short term, freenode->libera is sort of maintaining things as
they are.

> - something else ?

I'm +0.8 on matrix.   Taking off 0.2  because the clients seem to be
javascript running on some sort of chromium, but it seems to be all free
software.