[gdal-dev] Freenode IRC taken over(was Fwd: [SAC] [Hosting] OSUOSL IRC channels moving to irc.libera.chat)

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Thu May 20 02:02:06 PDT 2021

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 09:00:52PM +0200, Even Rouault wrote:
> Hi,
>
> See below about Freenode IRC having been taken over (or considered as such
> by most Freenode admins), which affects our existing #gdal channel.
>
> What should we do:
>
> - give up with IRC at all, and just use the Slack channel ? Would make
> things more simple
>
> - migrate to Libera Chat ?
>
> - something else ?

In case you missed it, OSGeo is now hosting a Matrix homeserver:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/SAC:MatrixSynapse

Matrix is an open protocol for instant messaging based on HTTP,
supports bridges to different IM systems (including IRC and Slack).

The OSGeo homeserver allows you to authenticate yourself using
your existing OSGeo account.

--strk;