[gdal-dev] current geolocation array implementation status

Frederico Liporace liporace at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 16:06:18 PDT 2021

Even, Frank,

Thanks for the feedback. I found that for the case I reported the
artifacts are being generated in the backmap gap filling process, this
is removing the internal gaps as expected but is also incorrectly
extending the backmap outside the valid area, effectively replicating
the pixel values on the input image borders.

I'm working on a possible fix and getting used to the algorithm that
is currently implemented.

I think that the Landsat TM/ETM approach could be an interesting idea
for a new implementation. It defines a regular grid in the input space
and an algorithm to find the corresponding input cell for any pixel in
the output space. The algorithm is detailed in section 3.1.5.3.6.4 of
the Landsat 7 Image Assessment System Geometric ATBD (*), figures
3-25/26/27 gives a gist of the algorithm.

rgds.,

(*) https://www.usgs.gov/media/files/landsat-7-image-assessment-system-geometric-atbd