[gdal-dev] GeoTIFF gdalwarp puzzle

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 07:25:28 PDT 2021

Hi,

I'm working with some aviation charts and found one that behaves in a
puzzling manner.
This page
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/vfr/
has two Caribbean VFR charts in GeoTIFF format.

I have been trying to run gdalwarp on "Caribbean 2 VFR Chart.tif" but I
only ever get a small area out of the map instead of the whole extent.
Specifically this command gives me just a smaller area output GeoTIFF:

gdalwarp -t_srs EPSG:4326 "Caribbean 2 VFR Chart.tif" out.tif --debug ON

I don't see anything from the debug output that explains this.

The other chart, "Caribbean 1 VFR Chart.tif," does not behave this way,
though the debug output from the same gdalwarp operation is much longer.

I can't see anything wrong.

I dragged both files into ArcGIS desktop explorer and both are displayed in
the proper location and in their entirety.

(I actually have a more elaborate workflow that works fine with chart #1
but this is the simplest operation I can think of that shows the problem
with chart #2.)

Thank you very much,
carl