[gdal-dev] setting MAX_Z_ERROR on overviews compressed with LERC_DEFLATE

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Nov 18 04:41:27 PST 2021

Hi,

I made some tests with an 8 bit RGB image.
First observation was that gdaladdo supports lerc_deflate (even it is not documented), but it does not support “MAX_Z_ERROR”. This yields same sized ovr file with or without max_z_error.
gdaladdo -ro lerc_def2.tif --config compress_overview lerc_deflate --config MAX_Z_ERROR 10

Another observation was that this option would really save some disk space. I compressed the lossless ovr file with gdal_translate by using -co max_z_error=10 and file sizes were:

source tiff: 432 072 372 bytes
lecr_deflate cog without overviews: 311 258 085 bytes

lossless lerc_deflate overviews: 118 954 009 bytes
lerc_deflare overviews with z_error=10: 52 400 583 bytes

For comparison even not relevant to original question about 32 bit data
jpeg-ycbcr overviews with default quality: 14 481 967 bytes

-Jukka Rahkonen-