[gdal-dev] Gdal_edit and -gcp as read-only

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Nov 22 05:49:39 PST 2021

Hi,

I tried to add ground control points into a TIFF file with gdal_edit. I do not want to touch the TIFF so I used the read-only option and supposed that gcp would be written into .aux.xml file but that did not happen. Instead I got a message

gdal_edit -ro -gcp 1 1 20 30 test.tif
ERROR 6: test.tif: SetGCPs() is only supported on newly created GeoTIFF files.

Without -ro gdal_edit adds ground control points into the TIFF without errors. What might be the meaning of the message about "newly created GeoTIFF" and is there some way to make gdal_edit to write ground control points into PAM file? I know that I can use gdal_translate and VRT as a workaround but PAM .aux.xml could be a bit better for my whole workflow.

-Jukka Rahkonen-